The National Teachers College was founded and incorporated by the Segundo M. Infantado, Sr. and Flora Amoranto Ylagan on September 29, 1928.
Upon authorization by the Department of Public Instruction on April 17, 1929, it opened its doors to the student public by June in a two-story nine-room building on the corner of Mendiola and Legarda streets in Manila. It was later granted government recognition as an educational institution on February 17, 1930.
NTC achieved distinction as the first school to offer a General Education leading to a Bachelor of Science in Education, a Preparatory Course leading to the title of Associate in Arts and secondary education during the first year of operations.
The faculty was composed of professionals of established reputation. The founders Dr. Segundo M. Infantado and Dr. Flora A. Ylagan led a distinguished roster of professors that included Federico Roa for Mathematics, Dr. Francisco A. Lava for Political Science, Vicente Dizon for Art, Dr. Antonio Isidro for Methods and Instruction, Aurelio Ramos for Curriculum Development, Dr. Mariano Icasiano for School Hygiene, Rodolfo V. Flores for Psychology, and Josefa Reinoso for Household Administration.
World War II interrupted the expansion program of the College and destroyed much of the facilities and improvements it took years to build. Liberation in 1945 brought about reorganization and renewed dedication of the College to the cause of teacher education. When classes resumed at the opening of the school year in 1945 only a third of the pre-war students were able to return, but it served new enrollees subsidized by the United States Armed Forces.
With reconstruction and rebuilding as the main focus after the war, the increased emphasis on science and communication impelled NTC to transfer to a larger site and constructed a Science building. Later, the Board of Trustees decided to put up two additional halls in place of the old college building. The latter was demolished to make way for the Ylagan Hall and the Infantado Hall. At present the NTC has seven buildings in its campus in Quiapo, Manila.
The College has moved forward in enriching its curriculum of general and professional education and in enhancing the methods and technology in instruction. It has continuously expanded its course offerings by including new courses in the undergraduate to the doctoral levels.
It would be worth noting that the NTC was the first to offer Contemporary Philippine Literature and Rizal’s Life and Works in Filipino, as well as other proficiency building subjects.
It has been actively involved in community service or non-formal education since 1948. It is the first institution in the Philippine educational system that has a PTA in the tertiary level and was chosen as a Population Education Pilot School.
In the span of the years the NTC has grown steadily. Among private education institutions in the Philippines it has attained a pre-eminent place in tertiary education. As it reaches its 85th year, it has taken the leap to expand its wings to the countryside with a new campus in Tanauan City. It aims to bring its extraordinary commitment to academic excellence and affordable education in service of the Filipino youth.