Menu
About Us

The National Teachers College is a premier education institution that develops top-level manpower skills. It seeks to further its philosophy, mission and vision by imparting to its graduates a high degree of competence in their chosen career, and in their quest for the required specialized knowledge, training and professional preparation for national and international endeavours. In this age of convergence, NTC helps graduates excel in a just & equitable world, armed with wisdom, excellence, relevance, access and effectiveness in the attainment of national productivity and world-class competitiveness. All courses are information-technology enhanced with a wide variety of specialization for personal and professional growth.

History

Philosophy

The National Teachers College believes in democratic education for individual responsibility and social competence.

Vision

The National Teachers College envisions itself as a leading academic institution for the development of all levels of education anchored on the ideals of Excellence, Relevance, Access, and Effectiveness geared towards national productivity and world-class competitiveness.

Mission

The avowed mission of THE NATIONAL TEACHERS COLLEGE is to provide leaders and innovators in the academe and industries who are equipped, responsible, and competent individuals to contribute to national and international endeavors.

Objectives

1. To provide educators and personnel in the industries who are socially efficient and responsive to the needs of the Republic of the Philippines within the framework of international standards; and

2. To provide students with working understanding of the nature and meaning of democracy, of the changing social milieu in which they are expected to work and live, the nature of the Filipino and his culture, and his responsibilities to the people of the region to which he belongs and the world at large.

Core Values

1. Nationalism

2. Trustworthiness

3. Commitment to Excellence

4. Respect for the Individual

5. Dedication to Service

Awit ng NTC

Kami ay mangaglalakbay
Tanging paaralan
Taglay namin ang ‘yong ngalan
Liwanang sa kadiliman

Ang diwa mo’y nabubuhay
Sa dibdib ng kababayan
At ang aming kalayaa’y
Mananatiling may tanglaw.

Tanging ilaw
Na taglay mo’y ikakalat
Nang ang langit
Sa silanga’y lumiwanag

Kahit saan kami mapapunta
Ilaw namin ang iyong alaala
Ang tanglaw mo ay panghawi sa dusa
Sa Silangan ay pag-asa ka.

In the Beginning

The National Teachers College was founded by the late Dr. Segundo M. Infantado Sr. and Dr. Flora Amoranto- Ylagan. Officially incorporated on September 29, 1928 in accordance with Republic Act No. 1459 as amended, The National Teachers College was authorized by the Department of Public Instruction on April 17, 1929 to operate as an educational institution. Its doors opened to the student public on the following June 10, and it was granted government recognition on February 17, 1930.It was the first of its kind to be permitted by the government to operate a complete General Course in Education leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Education, a complete Preparatory Course leading to the title of Associate in Arts, and complete courses in General High School, Commercial High School and High School in Home Economics all at once during the first year. All these courses were permitted to be offered in the morning and evening which was never done in other schools before the establishment of this College. The College also holds the distinction of being the first to be authorized to offer General Secondary classes for teachers during the long vacation of 1930 before it was granted its final recognition by the government.

The Force is Awakening

The College started with seventy-six students only. The subjects offered were varied: twenty-three different kinds with six duplicated to suit the convenience of students. But the organized classes were only eight if we are to apply the present criterion of at least nineteen student’s minimum enrolment for each organized class. The rest (15 special classes in all) had enrolments ranging from one (two classes had each only one student) to fifteen. The classes were so few that they were more than adequately housed in a two-storey nine-room building. This was located on the corner of Mendiola and Legarda streets in Manila. The first faculty was small- only sixteen members in all. But these were professionals of established reputation. Included among them were the founders of the College, Dr. Segundo M. Infantado Sr.  and Dr. Flora A. Ylagan. In addition, the roster of professors listed such names as Federico Roa for Mathematics, Dr. Francisco A. Lava for Political Science; Vicente Dizon for Arts; Dr. Antonio Isidro for Methods and Techniques of Instruction; Aurelio Ramos for Curriculum Development; Dr. Mariano Icasiano for School Hygiene; Rodolfo V. Flores for Psychology; and Josefa Reinoso for Household Administration. This strong faculty helped to attract more students. Despite the disastrous world-wide economic depression in 1929, the enrolment increased the following year.

Starting Over Again

The second world war interrupted the expansion program of the College and destroyed much of the improvements it took years to build. The occupying Japanese Armed Forces purged the Library of all books which dealt with Western Culture, especially those American in nature. They destroyed the collection of specimens and greatly reduced the laboratory facilities. Liberation in 1945 brought about reorganization and renewed dedication of the College to the cause of teacher education. When classes resumed at the opening of the school year in 1945, only a third of the pre-war students were able to return. Yet the College served more than double the old enrolment because its facilities were used in the evening without remuneration by the United States Armed Forces for educational purposes. Thus, the NTC hewed closely to its avowed purpose of serving the nation through education in general and teacher education in particular. Through the years, the NTC has continually striven to keep abreast of educational development here and abroad.  It has always striven to make its program of training relevant to the life of the nation, and the conditions prevailing among the people for whose welfare its students are being trained. Therefore, the increased emphasis on science and communication has impelled the College authorities to acquire an additional site. On this site was constructed the Science building.

The Dawn of a New Era

To complete its building program and to enclose the entire building block for the security of the students, the Board of Trustees decided to put up two additional halls in place of the old college building. The latter was demolished to make way for the Ylagan Hall and the Infantado Hall. At present, the NTC has several modern buildings. These include the IT Buildings, the structured Library Building and the Rizal Building which houses the food laboratories in the site opposite the DSWD. A new building is being constructed in the acquired lot across the Science Building. Added to all these may be mentioned the periodic revisions and enrichment of the curriculum of general and professional education and the improvement of the methods and technology in instruction. The College has moved several steps forward by including new courses from the Kindergarten to the Doctoral levels. It would be worth noting that the NTC was the first to offer a three-unit course in Contemporary Philippine Literature in English. It was a required course for BSE and AB students majoring in English in 1946. The College was also the first to offer Research Course in Contemporary Philippine Literature in English in the Graduate Division in 1949. The College, too, was the first to teach Rizal’s Life and Works in Filipino. Time was when Proficiency Courses supplemented the preparations for major subjects, a standard among those offered by similar institutions of higher learning. NTC has been actively involved in community service or non-formal education since 1948 and the first institution in the Philippine educational system that has a PTA in the tertiary level since 1972. It was also chosen as a Population Education Pilot School in Metro Manila in 1974. To meet the demands of the changing times, the College offered the One-Year General Clerical Course in 1959, which gave rise to the Two-Year Junior Secretarial Course in 1977. Likewise, catering to secondary school graduates with technical inclinations, a Community College for the Food Technician course was opened in 1977.

Soaring Towards Greater Heights

NTC has grown steadily. Among private educational institutions in the Philippines, it has attained in its own right, through years of performance, a pre-eminent place in educational leadership, particularly in the field of teacher education. The College was awarded a Plaque of Recognition on September 12, 1984, by the DECS for its invaluable service to the country as a private institution of learning and in ensuring a strong partnership in education between the government and the private sector. The Education Program of the College has been accredited and is classified under Level III as of July 10, 1987, by the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities- Commission on Accreditation (PACU-COA).  Now, the program is in the Level III reaccredited status. Other programs, the Bachelor of Science in Office Administration, the Master of Arts in Education and the Doctor of Education, likewise have been accredited Level I. To give new meaning and significance to the preparation of kindergarten, elementary, secondary and college teachers, as well as administrators, supervisors and other specialists in education, a five-year course, Bachelor of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESED) was opened in 1988. Responding to the challenge of bringing technology into the classrooms, computer education enriched the General Education curriculum and a new major in Computer Education was added in the BSED. In consortium with Information Professionals, Inc. (IPI) installation of computer laboratories in all levels was made and faculty training in technology integration became the major infrastructure and human resource developments, respectively.

 

 

 

 

 

 

New Breed of Professionals

Gearing toward industrialization and developing professionals for national productivity and global competitiveness, clerical and secretarial courses have been enriched, revised and ladderized in 1992, leading to a Four-Year Bachelor of Science in Secretarial Administration (BSSA) major in Computer Secretarial Education. The course is now called Bachelor of Science in Office Administration. In 1993, a ladderized Four-Year Hotel and Restaurant Management course was opened which aimed at providing education and training that would meet the needs of the industry for entrepreneurs, entry level jobs as well as for managers, supervisors, trainers and educators. In 2004, the College started offering TESDA Programs. The two-year programs: Food Service Management (FSM), Computerized Office Management (COM) and Medical Office Assistantship (MOA) have been offered up to 2011. Now, TESDA Programs, Bread and Pastry Production NC II and Food and Beverage Service NC II, Two year Associate in Hotel and Restaurant Services; Housekeeping NC II and Bartending NC II are being offered. These programs are offered in response to the need to develop skilled manpower in a shorter span of time. The Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLIS) has replaced the Library Science major of BSE and BEED in 2007. This has paved the way to making the major a straight program In 2009, Bachelor of Science in Tourism (BST), Bachelor of Science in Travel Management (BSTrM) and Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) were opened to meet the needs of the corporate world. To continue expanding the services of The National Teachers College and to meet the demands of the times, permit was granted for NTC to offer Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT) and Bachelor of Science in Psychology on June 2011 and Bachelor of Science in Accountancy in 2012.

A Force to be Reckoned With

In April 30, 2018, AC Education, Inc. (AEI or AC Edcuation), the wholly-owned education arm of Ayala Corporation, assumed ownership of approximately 96% of the outstanding voting shares of NTC. AEI was selected by the NTC Board and its shareholders through a competitive bid process.

Today, NTC continues to perform its share in educating and training teachers, administrators, supervisors, and other professionals who will serve in the interest of the Republic of the Philippines and the world at large.